Grade 8 Capstone
The Capstone Project is a culminating work of independent study, completed by each eighth grade student under the guidance of a dedicated faculty mentor. It demonstrates each student's unique interests and his or her written oral, organizational, and production skills.
Eighth grade students will:
- identify a major interest or area of new discovery
- do preliminary research and take notes using technology
- create a cohesive outline that addresses the question they seek to answer and that relates directly to the thesis statement
- write and edit a formal eight to ten page paper complete with standard citations and bibliography
- create a project that complements the study
- meet weekly with a faculty or staff mentor and lead the meeting to ensure that work is timely, complete, and excellent
- arrange for components of the project: interviews, videos, construction, etc.
- prepare a twenty-minute presentation that will be given to peers, parents, faculty, and guests
- be ready to field questions from their audience
- reflect on the experience in order to build on it in high school